Prime/Kelvin

Well, the last post was a bummer, so let's focus on something a little more fun.

SF Debris puts out enjoyable videos about (mostly) science fiction media. His best videos, in my opinion, deal with Star Trek. He's recently begun to take on Star Trek: Discovery, which is good since I still refuse to pay $6 a month to see that show. So, I'm looking at his video about The Vulcan Hello episode when I noticed something around the 6 minute 42 second mark. In a memory flashback Michael Burnham (the protagonist of the show) remembers being in a Vulcan learning bowl at the Vulcan Science Academy.

Now you can eat cereal & learn quantum mechanics at the same time!
I thought, where did I see this before? And then I remembered...




Yes, the 2009 Star Trek movie. Which actually cleared up one of the most glaring problems I had with the Discovery series so far. The producers have sworn up & down that this series is set in the Star Trek Prime universe, 10 years before The Original Series. But the aesthetics, the look of the show don't support this. It leans closer to Enterprise & the more recent films. Plus, you now have to explain why Original Series Spock never mentioned having Michael Burnham as a half-sister. Not mentioning Sybok was one thing, but Burnham? And before anyone naysays me, McCoy mentioned having a daughter, Sulu says Chekov never had a brother, and we met Kirk's brother Samuel & his family. Plus you have to explain why there's no mention of the spore warp drive that the Discovery ship uses in any of the Prime universe Star Trek TV shows.

But if the show is set 10 years before the 2009 Star Trek movie, this solves all these problems. The aesthetics look the same throughout, we don't know much about the Spock from the Kelvin timeline (the universe in which the Star Trek 2009 movie, the Into Darkness sequel & the third movie Beyond is set) so you can do whatever you want with the character, & you don't need to explain the spore warp drive. We can assume some ships in the Kelvin universe use dilithium, and some use the spore drive.

Of course, this contradicts what the showrunners of Star Trek: Discovery have said, but in my mind, this fits. Especially since in all prime universe Star Trek media involving Vulcan learning, those places have a different aesthetic that is at least consistent. Consider this image from the Voyager episode "Gravity" where young Tuvok goes to learn how to purge his emotions:

"This isn't working. Now I feel depressed!

And look at where Spock takes multiple tests in Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home:

"I get to fail all my finals at the same time! Neat!

These are different learning facilities on Vulcan, but they are all in desert caves, or what looks like caves. The aesthetics here are pretty consistent. All this leads me to believe that Star Trek: Discovery is set in the Kelvin timeline, not the Prime timeline.

Which is great, for me. Now I no longer have to scratch my head, wondering where Discovery fits in. 

I look forward to the flame war I just created in the comments.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Back And Moving Forward Part 3

Looking Back And Moving Forward Part 2

A Perfect Storm